Have you noticed that the grocery stores are skipping Thanksgiving this year?
A few days ago I walked into our neighborhood store to find it totally decked out with Christmas decor – candy canes and ornaments hanging at the ends of every aisle, large gift boxes of chocolates displayed on a decorated red and green table, and, most unbelievable of all, Christmas music was playing throughout the store!
What about Thanksgiving, people?!
I have to say, sometimes it hard to love Christmas. It’s just so dominating. And I’m fine with giving Christmas a month to sing the songs, view the lights, watch the movies, etc. but when it starting taking over Thanksgiving then Christmas and I have a problem.
I retreated back to my house after the grocery store incident and decided it was time to start thinking about Thanksgiving Dinner. For the past 5 or 6 years my whole family gathers at my parent’s house. Everyone graciously veganizes portions of their contributions for me and I usually bring the vegan alternative to a turkey and plenty of dessert.
This Raw Cranberry Walnut Tart was the first idea I dreamed up and yum! After the photo shoot I ate the (below pictured) slice and I’m pretty sure that in that moment Thanksgiving was revived!
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cups dates, pitted and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 12 oz medjool dates (20-24 large dates), pitted and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tbsp raw agave nectar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked 2-4 hours
- 2 tbsp raw agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp water (as needed)
- Lightly spray a 10" tart pan and set aside.
- To make crust, place walnuts in a food processor and blend into a fine meal. Drain dates and add, along with coconut and salt, to walnut meal and blend until well combined. A stiff dough will form. Evenly spread the dough along the bottom and sides of the prepared tart pan and place in freezer while making the filling.
- Place 1 cup of fresh cranberries in freshly squeezed orange juice and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain dates (for filling) and transfer to a food processor. Add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt and blend until very smooth and creamy. Place in a bowl and fold in 3/4 cup soaked cranberries and 1 cup chopped walnuts - reserve remaining cranberries for the top. Spread the filling evenly into chilled tart shell.
- Finely chop 1 1/2 cup walnuts in a food processor and spread evenly over the top of the date filling, patting down lightly. Top with remaining 1/4 cup of soaked cranberries.
- Whisk together agave nectar and water and, using a pastry brush, glaze the top.
- To make the white chocolate drizzle, combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. Drizzle over tart.
- Store in the freezer. Remove 10-15 minutes before serving to allow tart to thaw.
- While you can use any kind of date for the tart crust, it is very important to use large Medjool dates for the filling to get the right consistency.
You might also like: