I can’t believe it’s November. Didn’t 2013 just start? Wasn’t Eden just celebrating her first birthday while people were packing up their Christmas ornaments and recycling their trees? Where have I been the last ten months? I suppose seven of those I have been pregnant during which time the world around me has kind of faded away while I have slugged through the different stages of growing a baby. But that still leaves three unaccounted for months that I just can’t find no matter how hard I search my memory.
I know this is part of growing older, each year flying by faster than the one before. And I’m going to have to learn to embrace this reality before too many years have past. Kids help with that – watching the world through Eden’s eyes with each new adventure feeling like a first definitely helps me live moment to moment. And with the Holidays approaching it’s fun to imagine what this time of year must feel like to a two year old. So before things get to crazy, I commit to slowing down, pausing, and experiencing this season through the eyes of my daughter.
And what better way to savor the season than with one of my favorite fall foods?
These stuffed sweet potatoes were inspired by two of my all-time favorite bloggers. A few weeks ago Oh My Veggies published a post: 4 Ways to Top a Sweet Potato. She shared some awesome ideas like Chana Masala Sweet Potatoes – can’t wait to try – and overall it really got me thinking I should eat more stuffed sweet potatoes. So I started playing around with some ideas of my own when last week Oh She Glows published Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers and I had a light bulb moment: Thai-Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
As soon as I got the chance I started working on this recipe. And my suspicions were confirmed: it was delicious. Balancing flavors of sweet and spicy and mixed with fresh ginger and cilantro, these sweet potatoes are where you want to be!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp green curry paste
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the sweet potatoes and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes, until soft on the inside. Remove from oven, slice down the middle and allow to cool.
- Turn oven to broil.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil. Saute red bell peppers, ginger, and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until peppers are slightly soft. Set aside.
- Gently spoon out the inner flesh from each potato. Leave ¼-1/2 inch of sweet potato around the skin for support. Place the soft flesh in a small bowl. Add coconut milk, curry paste, and lime juice. With a hand held blender whip together.
- Fold in red bell pepper mixture, scallions, cilantro, peanuts, and seasonings. Spoon or pipe filling back into each sweet potato and return to the oven until tops have browned, about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.