Spring is finally here!
Early last week Eden, Nash, and I walked to the park, E and I wearing tank tops and sunglasses, breathing in the first of this spring’s air and letting it wash away the long winter silence that has been following us around like rainclouds over our heads. Eden’s young spirit came alive in a way I haven’t seen for a long time. She skipped along the sidewalk stopping to hug every tree. With her face buried in it’s bark she would say, “I love you” before moving on to the next. At each blooming flower she would lean in and inhale the fresh scents. And every once in awhile she would sprawl herself out on the sidewalk to soak in the warm sun and clear skies. As you can imagine it took quite awhile to get to the park.
At the park children were playing in the fountain and on the playgrounds. I heard the collective (playful) scream of relief that winter has lifted and the sun has taken her rightful place in the skies. We played at the park for about an hour, Eden finally old enough to climb around the playground by herself, nervous at first but quickly learning the wonder of toddlerhood. Nash peered his head over the baby wrap that held him in, eyes wide open at this new world he is just discovering. When we finally headed home, we talked about the oranges we would eat when we finally got there (she was still taking her time as she now had to tell all the trees on the other side of the street about her undying love). My mind wandered and soon I dreaming up all kinds of summertime recipes.
And this cashew and coconut based pistachio ice cream was born.
If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile you know I’m a lover of iherb.com. I have a great thing going with them where if you buy from their online store using my code you save 10 dollars off your purchase. Meanwhile I get a small commission that I use to do my own iherb shopping once in awhile. I usually wait until those special spending sprees to buy the more pricing things in life like cashews, cacao nibs, and pistachios.
Last week I got all three of those things in my iherb shipment and I wasted no time. Within minutes of tearing into the package I got the cashews soaking and the ice cream bowl freezing. The next day I was digging into the delicious, nutty, and oh-so-creamy ice cream so thankful that warmer days are upon us.
- 2 cups cashews, soaked 4-6 hours
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, shelled
- Place your ice cream churning bowl in the freezer overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Place in a high-speed blender along with coconut milk, sugar, coconoil, almond extract, and salt. Blend on high until completely smooth (3-5 minutes).
- Place 3/4 cup of pistachios in a coffee grinder or food processor and blend until they are a fine powder. Add pistachios to ice cream base and mix again until completely incorporated (another 2-3 minutes).
- Add the chilled ice cream to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once the ice cream is thick, frozen, and resembles soft serve, add remaining 1/4 cup pistachios and transfer to it to a loaf pan, smooth top, and cover. Place in freezer for 2-3 hours until the ice cream has harden.
- Pull out and let thaw 15 minutes before serving.
You might also like: