What’s better than a chewy vegan peanut butter cookie?
Why, a chewy vegan peanut butter cookie dipped in chocolate, of course!
I’m pretty picky about the texture of my cookies. Almost always I’ll go for a soft, chewy cookie with a crispy outside. But you may not be exactly like me (I know, you’re not) and love your cookies cakey or crispy. So if you’ve ever been curious about how to change the texture of your cookies, here’s a few basic tips.
The Three C’s
Cakey Texture: You’re looking for a dry dough that will rise in the oven and spread minimally.
- Use pre-chilled ingredients (vegan butter, non-dairy milk, etc.)
- Chill dough before baking
- Use baking powder instead of baking soda
- Increase the flour slightly
- Use white sugar
Chewy Texture: You’re looking for a softer dough baked at a higher temperature.
- Chill the dough before baking
- Use high-protein flour like bread flour
- Add extra liquid or reduce the flour
- Use all brown sugar
- Remove from oven when slightly underdone
Crispy Texture: You’re looking for a softer dough that will spread out before setting up.
- Use room temperature butter
- Bake at a lower temperature (325-350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Use brown sugar
- Add a little bit of liquid to the dough
- Bake all the way through
If you’re like me and think that chewy cookies are the best, you’re going to love this recipe. And if you prefer another type of texture, now you know what to do! Soft, sweet, with a little bit of crunch, and the perfect chewy texture, these peanut butter cookies might be the best you’ve ever had. But beware, once you bite into one of these incredible cookies, you’re going to have a very hard time stopping.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- crushed peanuts (optional)
- In a stand-up mixer cream together vegan butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add vanilla extract and applesauce.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. With the mixer running on the lowest setting, slowly add in the flour mixture until dough is uniformly mixed. Be careful not to over mix.Cover and chill dough for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a parchment-lined baking sheet roll round cookies, about 2 tablespoons in size. With a fork, gently flatten cookies in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling racks and let cookies cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler (this can be a bowl placed over a sauce pan with water) or microwave. Dip completely cooled cookies into the chocolate, sprinkle with crushed peanuts, and place on a parchment paper to let chocolate set up completely.